Employment Regulations


When you are ready to hire employees, there are several Provincial and Federal regulations to understand.


Ontario Human Rights Code

Human rights law is based on the principle that employment decisions should be based on the applicant's ability to do the job rather than on factors that are unrelated to job requirements. Employers are advised to ask only those questions on application forms that relate to job requirements and qualifications, and to not ask questions that may contravene the Ontario Human Rights Code. Here is a link to a document published by the Ontario Human Rights Commission with guidelines on what questions employers can ask; it also includes a sample application form.  Hiring? A Human Rights Guide

Employment Standards Act
The Employment Standards Branch of the Ontario Ministry of Labour (MOL), is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Employment Standards Act. This Act provides for the minimum terms and conditions of employment, such as minimum wage, statutory holidays, hours of work. Ministry of Labour: 1-800-531-5551 Website: Employment Standards

Worker’s Safety & Insurance Board (WSIB)
If you are hiring employees or contractors, you are responsible for payments to the WSIB. In accordance with the Act, employers must notify the WSIB within 10 days of hiring someone. WSIB will send you an application form and notify you of the payments.

When you register your business name provincially, this application is automatically sent. For more information, visit http://www.wsib.on.ca


To better understand your obligations under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, contact the Office of the Employer Advisor at www.employeradviser.ca  or 1(800) 387-0774. 


The OEA is an independent agency of the Ontario Ministry of Labour and has been helping Ontario employers manage their workplace safety and insurance costs, since 1985. It provides expert advice to any size employer; including mediation, negotiation, and representation throughout the workplace safety and insurance system to employers who primarily employ fewer than 100 employees. The service is completely confidential and free.


Contractors: Check out OEA's information on Independent Operators. Also, the Canada Revenue Agency has a very good tool to help you determine if a worker is an employee or a self-employed individual. Please follow this link to Employee or Self-Employed

Occupational Health & Safety
The Occupational Health and Safety Act sets out the rights and duties of all parties in the workplace. Its main purpose is to protect workers against health and safety hazards on the job. The Act establishes procedures for dealing with workplace hazards, and it provides for enforcement of the law where compliance has not been achieved voluntarily. For more information, visit Health and Safety

Employer Health Tax
Employers who have a permanent establishment in Ontario pay employer Health Tax (EHT). For the first $400,000 of the payroll, eligible employers are exempt from paying the Employer Health Tax. For further information, visit EHT and Employment Regulation Info-Guide


You must also register with the Federal Government - Canada Revenue Agency-CRA, to submit payroll deductions.


Payroll Deductions - Federal
Employers must register with the federal government, and make deductions for Income Tax, Employment Insurance (EI) and Canada Pension Plan (CPP) from your employess and remit the deductions and the employer's portion to the Canada Revenue Agency. For further information, visit Employment Regulations



  Bracebridge | Ontario Home | About Us | Success Stories | Events & Seminars | Business Links | Doing Business In Muskoka | FAQ | Contact
© Copyright 2019 Muskoka Small Business Centre. All Rights Reserved. | Content Management Tools by REM Web Solutions